Historic Helicopters was established in 2013 with the aim to preserve, restore to airworthy status and operate a select fleet of vintage Military Helicopters. The brainchild of Mr. Andrew Whitehouse, this pioneering and unique collection has forged new ground in the world of historic aircraft preservation.
A small and dedicated team of Aircraft Engineers are employed to preserve and maintain the Historic Helicopters fleet. Most of these Engineers are former members of the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force. They bring with them a wealth of knowledge and experience and a few of them have previously worked on the very aircraft which now occupy our hangar.
Historic Helicopters exists to raise money to keep historic Military aircraft in the air.
- To preserve, maintain and operate a select fleet of unique, vintage and historic Military Helicopters.
- To establish a Visitor Centre and Museum which charts the history of Royal Navy & Royal Air Force Search and Rescue, the Commando Helicopter Force and the “Junglie” Helicopters. This will allow us to fully engage with Aviation Enthusiasts, Air Cadets, Army Cadets, Sea Cadets, Cubs, Beavers, Scouts and Schools.
- To provide children with an opportunity to learn more about historically significant Helicopters which were built locally at Westland Helicopters, Yeovil. This will increase their understanding and appreciation of the global impact made by a world-leading Somerset Company.
- To host as many Open Days and attend as many Air Shows as possible. This increases our engagement with the general public from further afield.
- To provide a venue for ex-Service Associations to host visits, meetings and reunions.
- To continue to host two Aeronautical Engineering students from Bridgwater College on a weekly basis.
- To provide a venue which promotes, encourages and conducts Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) activities.
- To raise funds by way of donations, legacies and events to provide Historic Helicopter interaction for those who wouldn’t normally be able to.
- Parking On-Site
- Cafe/ Restaurant
- Licensed Bar
- Family friendly
- Dogs Welcome
- Disabled Access
- Group Bookings
- Baby Changing
- Coach Parking
- Open All Year
- Picnic Area